10 Best Events in Metro Detroit for October 2021
Detroit events in October are abundant, with attractions and activities to welcome in fall's cooler weather happening all across town throughout the month. From touring downtown museums to exploring the Detroit Zoo, there are always many fun things to do in Detroit. If a trip to Motor City is on the calendar, expect to find Halloween events, auto-racing, a comic convention, and more. Ready to have some fall fun? Keep reading to learn all about the exciting events happening in Detroit this October.
Hallowe'en in Greenfield Village
Themed characters, harvest markets, and scary performances are slated for the annual Hallowe'en in Greenfield Village. For 16 spooky nights in October, the village is transformed into a festive yet frightful lighted experience. Attendees can stroll through the various booths, shops, and activities or take a ride on the ever-popular Hallowe'en Express train.
- Dates: October 7-10, 14-17, 21-24, 28-31, 2021 (Thursday-Sunday)
- Time: 4:00 - 9:30 p.m.
- Tickets: $19
DIA Day of the Dead Exhibit
The DIA Day of the Dead Exhibit is hosted by the Detroit Institute of Arts and starts late September and runs through October. This annual Mexican holiday celebrates the memories of departed loved ones. Objects prized by the dead are honored with displays and decorations of their favorite tokens, foods, photos, and beverages.
- Location: Detroit Institute of Arts, 5200 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, MI 48202
- Dates: Exhibit Starts September 25
- Price: Free
American Speed Festival at M1 Concourse
This October, anyone who enjoys racing and fast cars won't want to miss the American Speed Festival at the M1 Concourse in the town of Pontiac, Michigan. Visitors will have the chance to witness high-velocity showdowns with car classes, including:
- Endurance Cars
- Historic Stock Cars
- Can-Am Cars
- Indy Cars
- Pontiac Performance and Racing Cars
The exposition also provides guests with the chance to ride in one of the Concourse Performance fleet cars along with a professional driver.
- Location: M1 Concourse, 1 Concourse Drive, Pontiac, MI 48341
- Dates: September 30 – October 3
- Tickets: Adult single-day passes are $75 | Children 12 and under Free
Terror on Tillson Street
Terror on Tillson Street is an annual tradition in the quaint village of Romeo, Michigan. Each year, more than 30 homeowners elaborately adorn their homes and property with spooky decorations that can be viewed after dark throughout the month of October. This is also an effort to provide local children with a safe and friendly environment where they can trick-or-treat with owners giving out thousands of pieces of candy each year.
Maybury Farm Great Fall Festival
Tour 10-acres of animals, scavenger hunts, and corn maze adventures at the Maybury Farm Great Fall Festival during September and October in the town of Northville. Take a tractor hayride out to the giant maze for an hour-long experience or to the 10-minute mini-maze before riding back to the farm for fresh donuts and cider available in the general store.
- Location: Maybury Farm, 50165 8 Mile Road, Northville, MI 48167
- Phone: 248-704-9211
- Cost: $13 per person | Kids under two are free
- Dates: Corn Maze - September 10 – October 24 Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays
- Hours: Friday – 5 - 9 p.m.; Saturday – 10 a.m. - 9 p.m.; Sunday – 10 - 7 p.m.
Motor City Comic-Con
Motor City Comic Con 2021 is one of the most exciting comic conventions in the world. Comics and fans come from around the country to see their favorite pop culture creators. There are always a few surprises, and tickets sell quickly. Buy a weekend or VIP pass for the best deals to take advantage of the whole weekend of fun in the Novi community.
- Location: Suburban Collection Showplace—46100 Grand River Ave, Novi, MI 48374
- Dates: October 15 – 17, 2021
- Times: Friday Noon – 7 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.; Sunday 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Cost: Daily tickets start at $30; $85 for all three days
Legend of Sleepy Howell Festival
Scofield City Park hosts the annual Legend of Sleepy Howell Halloween trick-or-treat festival and the 5K Headless Horseman race each October. This is a drive-thru experience on Friday night for kiddos to score some sweet treats. Saturday morning brings about a fun race with costumed participants winding through the spookily adorned neighborhoods and around the park.
- Location: 404 Thompson Street. Howell Mi 48843
- Trick or Treat Date: Friday, October 22, 2021; 6 – 8 p.m.
- 5K Race Date: October 23 @ Clinton & State Street
Boo Bash at Heritage Park
Come out and start Halloween a bit early at the Boo Bash at Heritage Park. An array of family-friendly activities liven up the day, such as candy-free trick-or-treat stations, hayrides, s'mores, pizza, and an appearance and presentation by the Creature Man. He'll bring along exotic animals for petting, with most animals being rescued. Costumes are encouraged!
- Location: Heritage Park, 24915 Farmington Road, Farmington Hills, MI 48336
- Date: October 24, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Cost: $9 for residents, $14 for non-residents
RENT 25th Anniversary Tour
As one of the most beloved Broadway plays, the RENT 25th Anniversary Farewell Tour is sure to be a sellout. The story follows a group of artistic friends struggling to find their way to success. More than a musical, RENT is a source of strength and encouragement for those pursuing their dreams around the world.
- Location: Fisher Theatre, 3011 W. Grand Blvd Midtown Detroit
- Phone: 313-972-1135
- Dates: Oct. 19, 8 p.m., Oct. 20, 8 p.m., Oct. 21, 8 p.m., Oct. 22, 8 p.m., Oct. 23, 2 & 8 p.m. and Oct. 24, 2 & 7:30 p.m.
- Prices: $49 – $119
The Mega 80s vs. the Class of '98 at The Magic Bag
The Mega 80s vs. The Class of '98 put two decades of music, fads, and fashion to the challenge at The Magic Bag this October. Retro styles and an amazing video background spectacle along with music from the award-winning cover band, the Mega 80's will battle with the hip hop and grunge elements of the 90s at the Class Of '98's 90's Party Palooza bash.
- Location: The Magic Bag, 22920 Woodward Avenue, Ferndale, MI 48220
- Phone: 248-544-1991
- Date/Time: Saturday, October 2 - Doors 8 p.m.
- Tickets: $20
Fun Times Await in Detroit This October!
Look no further for fun October events and activities in Detroit. While many events are free, ticketed attractions often sell out early as Motor City locals and visitors are eager to get out and welcome in fall weather and celebrate the Halloween season.