30 Best Events in Metro Detroit for August 2021
We live in a beautiful state, and it doesn’t get any better than getting out with the family to enjoy summertime in Michigan!
If you're like me, you're always looking for fun things to do with the family or a great date night activity. Every month I'll do a video with 5 great events in Metro Detroit!
SUBSCRIBE to be notified monthly when a new video drops! At the end of this description, click through to our blog to see an ADDITIONAL 5 events (most kid-friendly) for each county — 30 ideas total!
Here is our list of the TOP 5 things to do in Metro Detroit for August 2021! These family-friendly events are great for all ages and cover Oakland, Livingston, Macomb, Wayne, and Washtenaw counties. We also threw in some other great happenings in each county during August to help you plan out some fun adventures for your whole family!
Let’s get started with the best August events in Detroit below.
August Events in Oakland County
#1. Milford Memories
317 Union St, Milford, MI 48381
After a break in 2020, The Milford Memories Summer Festival returns August 13-15 and provides the opportunity for many groups and organizations within the community to raise money and market their businesses. It includes a whole host of activities, including an Art Fair with over 250 artists, Early morning Fitness, 3 on 3, Sand Volleyball & Cornhole Tournaments, 5K Run, Rock Climbing Tower, Blind Canoe Race, Central Park Beer Tent & 3 stages with Live Music! Be sure to get out with the whole family to take in all of this fun on this one!
For more information and a full list of events, visit https://www.milfordmemories.com/
Other Notable Activities in Oakland County this August
Michigan Taco Fest
- August 13th–15th
- Spring Oaks County Park
- 12451 Andersonville Road, Davisburg, MI 48350
- Features Include: Live Music, Food Eating Contest, Cutest Chihuahua Contest, Lucha Libre Wrestling, Specialty Food & drinks
- For more information, visit https://www.michigantacofest.com/
Michigan Hippie Fest 2021
- August 7th, 2021 10am–10pm
- Canterbury Village
- 2325 Joslyn Ct, Lake Orion, MI, US 48360
- Features Include: live music, shopping, vintage hippie car show, DIY tie-dye, cirque performers, kids activities, delicious food & beverage, and so much more.
- For more information, visit https://allevents.in/lake%20orion/michigan-hippie-fest-2021/200021015054845
City Of Walled Lake - Concerts in the Park
- Wednesdays in August 7 pm–9 pm
- Hiram Sims Memorial Park
- Quinif Dr, Walled Lake, MI 48390
- For more information, visit https://walledlake.ploud.net/event-calendar/event-calendar#/events/ujIIBGSnGB/instances/vispTVkHWW/
Ferndale Dream Cruise
- August 20th, 2021 12 pm–9:30 pm
- 9 Mile Rd at Woodward in Downtown Ferndale
- Features Include: Ferndale Emergency Vehicle Show, Mustang Alley, Live Entertainment
- For more information, visit https://allevents.in/ferndale/ferndale-dream-cruise-2021/200021063618642
Family Fun Day Skull Island Camp
- Sat August, 14th 11 am-4 pm
- 8226 Highland Rd, White Lake Charter Twp, MI, 48386
- Benefits local children’s cancer charities
- Features Include: Trail Hikes, Sports, Zip Lining, Fishing, Paddle Boats, Kayaks, Pontoon Boat Shuttles, Floating Water Park
- For more information, visit https://skullislandcamp.com/events/family-fun-day
August Events in Livingston County
#2. Howell Melon Festival - Livingston County
200 E. Grand River Ave, Howell, MI 48843
This community tradition celebrates its 61st year, the 2nd week of this August! With a multitude of events attracting over 20K visitors, there is something for everyone. Family-friendly activities include The Melon Ball (Sweetheart Dance) each evening between Aug 9-11 (advanced registration necessary), the Howell Melon Run, Doc May Memorial Bike Ride, Mascot Dash, Kids events & entertainment, a Fine Arts & Crafts Show, Car Show and more! Be sure to try some melon ice cream while you’re there also!
For all events, information visit https://www.howellmelonfestival.com/
Other Notable Activities in Livingston County this August
Brighton Main Street Wine Arts Music Festival
- August 1, 10 am–3 pm
- Features Include: Fine Arts & Crafts, Vintage Market, Food, Wine & Music
- For more information visit
- Fridays & Saturdays in August 7:30 pm-11:30 pm
- 110 E. Grand River Brighton Mi 48116
- For more information, visit https://www.brightoncoc.org/events/details/dueling-pianos-08-06-2021-33051
Brighton Farmers Market
- Every Saturday through October 8 am–1 pm
- City's Municipal Parking Lot
- 200 N. First Street in downtown Brighton
- Features include: Food Directly Sold from Local Farmers, Artisan Focus, Arts & Crafts, and Food Vendors
- For more information, visit https://www.brightoncoc.org/farmers-market
August Events in Macomb County
#3. Armada Fair
74280 Fair St., Armada, MI 48005
The Armada Fair, “A True Country Fair,” commences its 149th consecutive year beginning August 16 and combines all things country into an exciting week-long event packed with activities! Grab your hat and boots, bring the family and come out to enjoy the festivities, including a Carnival, Concerts, Rodeos, Truck and Tractor Pulls, Monster Trucks, Contests, Vendors, Food, and even a Livestock Sale! This is sure to be a good time!
For more information and a full line of events, visit https://www.armadafair.org/
Other Notable Activities in Macomb County this August
The 38th Annual Shelby Township Art Fair
- August 14th–15th, 2021
- River Bends Park
- 5700 22 Mile Rd, Shelby Township, MI 48317
- Features include: more than 100 artists, artisans, crafters, Michigan-made market vendors, food, music, a kids' craft, an activity area, & more!
- For more information, visit: https://www.shelbytwp.org/government/departments/parks-and-recreation/shelby-township-art-fair
Cider Dayze Festival - Michigan’s Premium Craft & Cider Beer Festival (21 & Up)
- August 28th-29th
- Blake’s Orchard & Cider Mill
- 17985 Armada Center Rd, Armada, MI 48005
- Blake's Orchard & Cider Mill 17985 Armada Center Road, Armada
- Features Include: Breweries, Cideries, and Wineries, food, games & live music!
- For more information, visit: https://blakefarms.com/event/cider-dayze-festival/2021-08-28/
Relay For Life Of Northeastern Macomb
- Saturday, Aug 7th
- Lempke-Blackwell VFW Post 7573
- 35011 23 Mile Rd, New Baltimore, MI 48047
- Features include: Food, Fun, Entertainment - Honoring our Cancer Survivors and Caregivers
- For more information, visit: https://secure.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLCY21NCR?pg=entry&fr_id=99533
Family Concert And Movie Night
- Kennedy Park
- 24517 Schroeder, Eastpointe, MI 48021
- August 5 (6-9:30 PM)
- Features include: 6 pm Concert, 8 pm Movie, Food Vendors
- For more information, visit https://erchamber.com/event/family-concert-movie-night-2/
August Events in Wayne County
#4. Vincent Van Gogh Art Exhibit
Cobo Hall (TCF Center, Hall D)
Now - Oct, 3
5200 Woodward Ave, Detroit, MI 48202
#4. The Jim Henson Exhibition: Imagination Unlimited
Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation
Now - Sept 6, 2021
20900 Oakwood Blvd, Dearborn, MI 48124
If you’re looking to escape the summer heat, or are more of an art buff, look no further than the impressive museums of Wayne County to open your eyes to a world of history, art, and more! Running now through early October at Cobo Hall, you can find an awe-inspiring exhibition of Van Gogh’s artwork like you have never experienced before! This is truly a spectacle for the senses through a 360-degree projection display and using his dreams, thoughts, and words as a narrative!
For more information on the Van Gogh Exhibit click https://vangoghdetroit.com/
If Van Gogh isn’t your style, maybe a pop-culture trip down memory lane with everyone’s favorite puppeteer is more your style. Happening now through Sept 6, you can experience The Jim Henson Imagination Unlimited Exhibition at the Henry Ford with more than 100 original artifacts (including 25 puppets), character sketches, costumes & more! As the creator of some of America’s favorite characters, such as the Muppets and Sesame Street, this is sure to be fun for all ages - and maybe a bit more nostalgic for some than others.
For more information on the Jim Henson Exhibit, please visit https://www.thehenryford.org/
Other Notable Activities in Wayne County this August
Wayne County Fair
- August 2nd–7th, 2021
- Wayne County Fairgrounds
- 10871 Quirk Rd, Belleville, MI 48111
- Features include: Carnival, Food, Music, Animals
- For more information, visit: http://www.waynecountyfairgrounds.net/wayne-county-fair
Ribs R&B Music Festival
- August 13th–15th
- Hart Plaza - Detroit River Front
- Features include: An outstanding lineup of local barbecue experts & grilling gurus serving up tasty ribs, brisket, and chicken. Show after show featuring a variety of talented R&B and soul singers—over 100 different Vendors.
- For more information, visit: https://www.ribsrnbmusicfestival.com/
Vibes With Tribes - Michigan's First Native American Music Festival
- August 28th (1 pm–11 pm)
- 4132 Bagley St, 4132 Bagley Street, Detroit
- Features Include: Drum Groups & Dancers, Live Performances, Native American Vendors & Pow Wow food.
- For more information, visit: https://allevents.in/detroit/vibes-with-the-tribes-%7C%7C-michigans-first-indigenous-music-festival/10000159509074937
A Taste Of Greece Cultural Festival
- August 26th–29th
- Nativity Of The Virgin Mary Greek Orthodox Church
- 39851 West Five Mile Rd, Plymouth, MI 48170
- Features include: Authentic Greek Dancing, Live Music, Greek Marketplace, Kids Corner, Church Tour.
- For more information, visit: https://www.michigangreekfestival.com/
Belle Isle Art Fair
- August 7, 2021
- Belle Isle - James Scott Memorial Fountain
- Sunset Dr, Detroit, MI 48207
- Features include: Over 100 Different Juried Artists, Art, Crafts For Kids, Food, Beer Tent & more!
- For more information, visit: https://www.belleisleartfair.com/
August Events in Washtenaw County
#5. Thunder Over Michigan Air Show
Willow Run Airport
801 Willow Run Airport, Ypsilanti, MI 48198
You won’t want to miss the excitement of Thunder Over Michigan 2021! This drive-in airshow features death-defying performances by the USN Blue Angels & USAF F-35 Demo Team during morning shows and the USAF Thunderbirds for afternoon shows. In addition, the world’s largest gathering of Mitchell B-25 Bombers will be on hand for view during all four shows! Be sure to bring ear protection - these babies ROAR!
For more information, please visit https://yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/
Other Notable Activities in Washtenaw County
Dexter Daze Festival — 50th Anniversary
- August 13th–15th
- Monument Park - Downtown Dexter
- Features Include: Parade, Art Vendors, Food, Music & Entertainment, Kids Train, Inflatable Area & Putt-Putt
- For more information, visit: https://www.dexterdaze.org/
76th Manchester Community Fair
- August 10th–15th, 2021
- Manchester Community Fair Grounds
- 600 E Duncan St, Manchester, MI 48158
- Features Include: Fair, Parade, Demolition Derby, Tractor Pull, Rodeo, Drag Racing
- For more information, visit: https://manchesterfair.org/
Fun Fest 2021
- August 7th (2 pm–10 pm)
- Frog Island Park Amphitheater
- 699 Rice St, Ypsilanti, MI 48198
- Features include: Local Artist, Local Vendors
- For more information, visit: https://www.annarbor.org/event/fun-fest-2021/6524/
I Love The 90’s Bar Bash Crawl Ann Arbor
- August 28th (3pm-10pm)
- Downtown Ann Arbor Area Bars - Main Street
- Features include: 90’s theme bar crawl, Costume Contest with $100 Prize, DJs playing 90’s Music, 90’s Swag, drink specials, food specials.
- For more information, visit https://allevents.in/ann%20arbor/i-love-the-90s-bar-crawl-ann-arbor/200020533139744
If you have a real estate need, we serve over 80 families per month in buying a home or selling a home. We make real estate as easy and stress-free as possible. If you have any questions on buying or selling, a member of The Perna Team would love to answer any and all of your questions at 248-886-4450.
To search all homes for sale in Metro Detroit, please visit http://bit.ly/TPT_homesearch
For an instant online analysis that’s 97% more accurate than Zillow, click here http://www.instantonlineanalysis.com
Thank you, everyone! We're grateful to serve and live in the communities where we have the opportunity to help so many families. Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube channel to be notified when future videos on what to do in Metro Detroit are released! https://www.youtube.com/MichaelPernaTV